Friday 25 January 2008

A few years ago I planted a small bambo-one that pandas eat! outside a south facing window,expressly to see which way the wind , if any, is blowing. It is now over 6ft and shaved like a mop, I can see it black against the bright water and sky dancing like a dervish,I love it! Living in a flat it is quite difficult to tell the weather without unbolting the outside door in winter I find that colour contrast is useful, and the cooker top is black and the worktops white. Put a white mug on the black top,pour wateron to coffee and you can gauge when it is full enough by the remaing white rim. You can get a pinger to put on the rim which is useful. I also have the prettiest of talking watches hanging on a chain. It is circular with a wonderful edgeing which makes it look antique.

Deciding to go shopping in Sloane Square, I have to cross a major road with three way traffic. There is only an island I can safely reach, and there I am stranded until some kind person will rescue me! I take this route as only one bus stops here, so I do not have to run up and down asking the numbers! The drivers are usually foreign Someone will always tell me where to get off. If not meeting a friend I find an assistant to take me up in the lift. Waiting for an assistant to serve me I decided to look and feel the hats and discovered there was now a long counter under them displaying gloves and bags, I also thought i saw a store detective eyeing me so thought I would have some fun! So moving along I tried on hats and picked up various articles. I could see a movement on the other side, and in the end I decided to give her a broad smile. She was still there so I peered closer and discovered it was myself! There was a cleverly hidden mirror. I started to laugh until I saw assistants regarding me rather strangely.

2 comments:

Polly Pierce said...

Hi Granny,
Jean sent me and I love your blog. Regardless of your loss of sight; you have found another way to express your creativity marvellously.
Your anecdotes are priceless; which combined with your tips and recommendations for the blind make for an outstanding resource.
Good for you! Wishing you every success in your new life as a blogger! Keep 'em coming! Polly

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see their faces! You made me feel quite homesick actually, I used to work just down the road from Sloane Square.